I am not a doctor – I have a high school education.
But here is a partial list of things I have seen in my lifetime that result in human beings taking part in behaviours which are completely out of character for them:
- extreme stress including bankruptcy or massive personal loss
- mental illness, mood disorder or brain disorder including brain tumour
- blood chemical imbalances including diabetes
- medications, new medications, or medication changes (brand or dosages)
- concussion & untreated concussion
- small stoke or untreated stroke
- Alzheimer’s, especially Early Onset Alzheimer’s, and other forms of dementia
- heart condition which includes reduced blood flow to the brain
- food allergies, undiscovered or developed later in life
- supplements and steroid medications. Creatine taken to build muscles, which is available over the counter, has caused enormous problems for some men that I know who have taken it
- Substance abuse
And, added after conversation with a very smart woman:
- Addiction, including addiction to social media
These situations occur so consistently in my life that I have learned that when someone does something utterly bizarre and out of character, I should just stand back and shut up until I can determine what is actually going on.
Through the mental health training I have been fortunate enough to take, I have learned that often the most devastating consequence of a breakdown or psychotic break is the shame with which the person lives afterward. I would hope never to add to such shame but only be patient and understanding until all the facts are known; I hope I would be afforded the same consideration in a similar situation.